Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Welcome September! - Ben's CT Results

It’s SEPTEMBER! As much as I don’t want to wish my days away, I am happy to be entering the fall season. I love the colours, the weather and the clean crisp air that comes along with fall. There is something relaxing just thinking about it. I hope all the kids had a great start back to school! I love seeing everyone’s “first day” pictures on Facebook. This year was extra special in the Janzen house for two reasons. 1. Brooke went off to JK! First year of full day school. Yippie! And 2. Mommy AND daddy got to walk to her school. While I thought I may tear up because my first baby is going off to school, tears actually filled my eyes as I watched Ben walk Brooke to school for the first time. I guess the positive side of Ben being off work right now is him being able to participate in these special memory making activities. We are SO glad daddy is able to join us!    


This past week we got the results to Ben’s CT scan. We finally got our first bit of good news since June. The CT scan showed that the cancer lesions on Ben’s liver are indeed shrinking, which means the chemo is doing its job right now. We met with Ben's oncologist and the plan is this: continue chemo bi-weekly for another 2 months and repeat the CT scan after the 2 months. If the CT scan shows that the lesions have shrunk further, the doctor will present Ben's cause to a surgeon to see if he qualifies for liver surgery. Basically they would go in and remove parts of the liver that show remaining cancer lesions and allow the liver to regenerate, then go back in and remove the other side that is effected and allow that to regenerate. Ideally this surgery could "cure" Ben. It is a very risky procedure and comes with it's own challenges. Right now we aren't thinking about those challenges, but instead we praise God for the great news we have just been given that the lesions are shrinking and Ben has been feeling pretty good! His doctor was very happy to see these results. We know the path will be long but we will take the good news as it comes! If this isn't an answer to prayer, I don't know what is. So THANK YOU to everyone rooting on and praying for Ben. We truly believe in the power of prayer!

Ben has definitely bounced back from his chemo treatments the past two rounds. He's able to get up and go fishing with his buddies, do some yard work, put up some crown moulding AND even managed to hang Brooke's new bedroom door (there are still a few things around the house we need to finish from our home renovations) When he needs to break, he listens to his body and does so. Otherwise, he's been doing really, really well! Those who see him usually are pretty shocked to see how well he looks. Go Ben!

As we enter a new month and season, I am reminded how thankful I am for the blessings poured out to us. I sit and plan Thanksgiving with my family at our new house this year (those who know me know how I plan!) and I can't help but feel so happy to have my family over in our new house to celebrate all the things we are thankful for. Although Thanksgiving is still a little ways away, I love the holidays and look forward to them! We have a lot of things to look forward to!



      

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for keeping us updated, I continue to pray for you, Ben and the whole family affected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such amazing news!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. YESSSSS! Beautiful update. I'm teary eyed as I am excited for you guys. God is good. - Julie

    ReplyDelete